Wednesday, August 11, 2010

confessions

I swore I wouldn't complain about being pregnant. After almost 4 years of trying and our 'last resort' of IVF, I just so desperately wanted to carry my child that I swore I wouldn't complain about the discomfort.

But then it was twins. (And I hope it goes without saying that I'm THRILLED that it is). And the whole being-pregnant-with-twins sure does change the pregnancy game.

I never complained about morning sickness. I was still so afraid that something would happen to my little guys that I was just happy to have a symptom, even a bad case of never-ending morning sickness.

Then the back pain hit. And I mean tear-enducing upper back pain like I've never experienced before. And we're nearing week 8 of the pain, with no end in sight. I'm trying to have a good attitude about it, I know it's all worth it in the end. But oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to take some ibuprofen!

But actually the thing that really surprises me about this pregnancy is how incredibly concerned I am about my weight. I didn't exercise much in the months before we got pregnant, mostly because I was so depressed. And so then my dr advise me not to do too much since my body wasn't used to it.

And honestly, I was pretty thin before. I never had to watch what I ate to keep my figure. And I guess I realize now that I was pretty vain about it. I don't mind the belly bulge. But for whatever reason, my body has decided to pack the pounds on in my thighs and butt and love handles too.

I HATE it. And I worry about it constantly. And I feel like such a hypocrite being concerned about my body changing when I invested so much to get here!

I know lots of women gain weight in areas other than their stomachs, but I really thought I'd be one of the lucky ones who still looked thin except for the belly. It has been quite a strange dose of reality for me.

All I can do is continue to do my yoga and eat healthy things. And I guess if I need the weight in my hips, then I guess that's where it'll go. It's just so hard not to compare myself to my other pregnant friends.

I will say this, though. I will NEVER complain about my babies kicking me. They are very active little boys and remind me of their presence all day long. And for that, I am beyond grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Have you considered going to a chiropractor. I'm a chiropractor and my favorite patients are pregnant women. They get really sore between the shoulder blades, the bottom of the neck and across the low back. It really does help! Your muscles and joints are probably stiffening up because they are taking on the load of your belly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying so hard not to complain about anything either, but I think we're putting undue pressure on ourselves about that. Your belly is adorable, but I hope you can find some relief from the back pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I just found your blog -- we were recently diagnosed with secondary unexplained infertility and are trying to figure out what to do, if anything. So glad that yours was a success story!

    ReplyDelete